Friday 12 June 2009

Round 2, day 2, and hypnotherapy


Chemotherapy


Today took less than two hours, but the drug involved is the most scary of the three so the nurse watch me like a hawk - how is a man meant to concentrate on anything with that level of attention aimed in his direction?!

Side effects thus far are limited to tiredness and mild nausea, but it's a day or two early for the stronger reactions to manifest themselves. I promise to spare you the details if and when this happens!

Hypnotherapy

Today was my third session, and I had already briefed the therapist that I wanted to bring forward the work on pain control. I found it really interesting. Basically, the approach can be summarised as follows:

  1. Change the label! Pain is after all, just one of a number of sensations. We are programmed to think of pain as 'hurt', so stop calling it that. I have a sensation in my leg? Well, you must admit it is a neutral term!
  2. Using another part of the body (in my case the back of the hand) envisage it getting heavy and numb.
  3. Place the hand on the painful part (leg) and envisage the sensations in the hand being transferred to the leg.
I don't recall all of the theory behind this approach, so won't risk mis-describing it now. However I will read up on it over the weekend and possibly post more on this topic. I'll also let you know how I get on in practice.

The therapist is dropping off a book over the weekend on the subject of how one's state of mind affects the healing process. This covers the second and possibly more important goal I have with this therapy. I know from past experience that attitude can be a powerful shaper of outcomes. I an not saying I can 'think' myself well, but I do believe that I can improve the situation by being realistically positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment