Monday 15 June 2009

Now how about this for a set of wheels?

I'll confine the medical update today to a couple of lines: more tiredness, and more bone pain, but both were as forecast. Oh, and no sense of taste - but then most of you knew that anyway!

Instead, I'll tell you about my ride in Richard and Vanessa's Ferrari F430 - now there's a way to get around! I had already decided that a wheelchair isn't my thing; had dismissed the usual invalid buggy (well, there are so many around already!); rejected a motor-bike, even though our trendy young vicar is set on bringing them into vogue amongst the Five Alive squad. I spent around a year in hospital following my last encounter with one of these; and settled on a quad bike as being the correct blend of speed, style and cool. But wait, doesn't every farmer around here have at least two? Even Jags are represented twice.

But then I remembered the Sharland's kind invitation to look at AND ride in their beloved new machine, so off I toddled in our grubby Golf to see it. The questions came thick and fast:
  1. Could I get into it - yes!
  2. Could we go for a ride in it - yes! Lyme Regis never seemed as close as it did today.
  3. Could I get my drugs basket into it - no!
  4. Would theNHS consider supplying it with a much smaller engine, down-rated suspension, and glove box? Probably not.
Ah well, it remains a superbly engineered piece of kit, and I have to admit that Richard and Vanessa suit it much better than I do. Still, my heart-felt thanks to them both for a very bright spot in an otherwise slightly wet and woozy afternoon.

And no, I did forget my camera. so I can't even prove I'm not hallucinating. Still, here's a pic of one quite similar!

4 comments:

  1. No sense of taste? When you have the best wife in the world? You are amazing, big brother.

    I take it the dvd was from you. Thank you. I haven't seen it yet as the weekend has been full of birthday sleep (wake)overs/bbq's/visits but hopefully the coming one will be less hectic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that's what you call a REAL Mobility vehicle!

    every best
    gm.m

    ReplyDelete
  3. A trike, go with a trike, you can even get on which fits the chair inside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. or 'one which fits the chair'

    ReplyDelete