Wednesday 3 June 2009

I have wheels!


As you can see, the temporary chair arrived as planned today. Being able to sit with my leg up is a considerable relief, as the pain usually occurs when I'm standing or walking.

We've had to reduce the amount of furniture on the ground floor, as I need quite a turning circle - hopefully I'll improve with practice.

Over the last day or so I've been playing with web albums - a way of uploading photographs to the web. Invitations can be sent to friends and family , who can view them when and as often as they choose.

The tool I've chosen to use is Picasa, as it has all the facilities needed to take the pictures from the camera, upload them an album, add a caption, and reduce the photos to web size without any technical knowledge on the part of the user. I can have multiple albums covering, for example, holidays, family, the garden, and so on.

If this isn't enough, each picture can be 'geo-tagged'. This is just a fancy name for noting where it was taken. However, the feature which I could hardly believe exists in free software is the facial recognition. Ask Picasa to scan the album for faces, and it picks out all photos of each person in turn, and asks you to name them. Where a photo contains multiple faces, these are also picked out as a separate group. Once the photos are named, hovering the mouse over a face displays the person's name!

I'm sure that this is a facility which many people will find useful. Friends who would like a demonstration are welcome to give me a call. I would love to let you all see the album I've created as a test, but at present I haven't worked out how to do anything other than send single invitations! I rather think you'll be hearing more about this topic in future posts.

3 comments:

  1. As you know. john has never been one to be behind the times and he too has a wheelchair. As his back is very bad at the moment we have one. I suspect it will only be used for "trial runs" to the pub!!!!
    Can't imagine how you find all these clever things on your computer Thank God you are so clever at it otherwise you would have to take up something like knitting!!!
    love Bren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent...so glad the OTs managed to solve the posterior problem...but then size isnt everything they say....oh...and i think you might need a licence for that toothbrush if used outside!

    every best
    gm.m

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I could organise a B&O hi-fi for your wheels, what do you think? ;)

    ReplyDelete