Wednesday 24 June 2009

A mixed day

The day started really well, with me making it to Communion at 0930 - I think it's OK to be proud of that?! The main reason, apart from wanting to go, is that I had a leg x-ray booked at 1030 in Axminster. The rebuilt department there has only been open for three weeks, and it looks very spacious and welcoming. I did manage a peek at the pictures, but the screen was not really big enough to check anything other than that they were correctly positioned and exposed. They are immediately upload to Exeter for reporting back via my GP, but Bristol will also have access to them so I expect to hear the result next Tuesday at my regular pre-chemotherapy appointment.

Pain hasn't been too much of a problem today as I've spent most of the time sitting down trying to work out why Dave W's PC won't boot. Those in the know will realise that this is the machine that is used to produce the Parish magazine, and hence is priceless. Unfortunately the software on it is also complex and expensive, and has previously proved prone to problems. It is all backed up in accordance with the way I recommended earlier this week, but even restoring from that takes a lot of time and is best avoided if possible. Fortunately, I remembered late this afternoon that I had installed some software to back up the Registry (aka Windows brain). I've never had to rely on this before, but I took a risk and tried it - and it worked! By trial and error I figured out that something unpleasant had happened on 21st June, so rolling the machine back to 20th did the trick. This little piece of (free) software will appear in future on all my PC rebuilds!

The day ended so warm and fine that I decided to cut the grass with our tractor mower. This was not a smart idea, as it definitely upset my leg. I suppose the trick is to learn to live within the bounds of what I can now do, but this does require a certain amount of trial and error.

No comments:

Post a Comment