Tuesday 9 June 2009

A day out in Bristol

Well, more a lunch with our eldest son (really nice, as we haven't seen him for a while), followed by a hospital appointment (nothing like as much fun).

On an irrelevant personal note, the place where we ate is now Brown's, at the top of Park Street. I lived in Bristol during my twenties, and for a short while had a temporary job at the University while I waited for my immigration visa to come through from Australia house; I never went, but that's another story involving a Swiss au pair... However, I digress. Back then Brown's was a much less salubrious (and expensive) University Refectory. Many a cheap meal was eaten there without me ever suspecting that I'd be frequenting it thirty years later in the company of wife and grown-up son!

The main purpose of the hospital appointment was to check my blood count and readiness for the next round of chemotherapy, which starts tomorrow. Since I haven't heard to the contrary I think it will be going ahead as planned. We did learn that it should be possible to tell after this round whether or not it is working, and therefore whether it is worth continuing. That is quite sobering, as the next step would probably be to try to get me onto a clinical trial of something which has a very mixed press at present. Good results are reported on some people, although the side-effects (not specified today) can be considerable. All told, a collective prayer, or positive thought, would be most welcome at this point.

I don't know if I'll be posting for a couple of days as there may not be much to report - being attached to a drip is not the stuff of which great blogs are made; however, one never knows.

TTFN.

George

3 comments:

  1. All my positive thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep your chin up.
    love Brenx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My positive thoughts are with you too George, every day. Is Banbury too far away to borrow your DVD? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked all over google for days out in Bristol, then now i am finding nice and attractive information in your blog. great work keep it up.

    ReplyDelete