Wednesday 8 July 2009

An unscheduled trip to Bristol

This morning at around 11 I arranged to have my MRI and CT scans in Bristol next Monday. Shortly thereafter I received an appointment to see the Orthopaedic consultant (also in Bristol) next Wednesday. By 12 the Chemotherapy consultant had confounded the entire plan and brought the scans forward to this afternoon so that he could see the results before going to California on Friday! So, despite having visitors arriving this evening who couldn't be contacted, we made the familiar trip north yet again.

The scans themselves were unremarkable, if you discount the fact that an MRI head scan feels and sounds as if you've got your head in a cement mixer which is being cleaned out with bricks, and the injection they give you for a CT scan makes you feel warm all over and leaves a funny taste in the mouth. The doctor who put the cannula in my arm clearly needs practice, preferably on an orange, before I let him near me again. Trouble is, when you are on the table, arms out-stretched, with no-one else to appeal to within earshot, you are rather at a disadvantage.

Anyway, we are home now, visitors suitably greeted and tucked up in bed, so I can drivel on to you about my disrupted day. The plan from here is that I should get the scan results on Friday, and the Wednesday appointment should give me more information about the orthopaedic options available to me, including amputation.

Not content with the above, we've also received an update to my pain control prescription and I now have another potion to take. The capsules look an innocuous grey, but it takes a week to build up to the full dose so I suspect their bite is stronger than their bark! I've also received my referral to the pain control consultant in Exeter, and can ring tomorrow to make an appointment.

This all feels like progress, and the prospect of being able to get control of the pain has bucked me up somewhat. As ever, thanks to all who contacted me with good wishes after reading my recent downbeat entry. And now, good night!


2 comments:

  1. With all that going on I don't know how you have time to blog, but it is great to keep up with all your news.
    Best wishes from us both,
    Bren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you today George re your scan results.
    H

    ReplyDelete