Monday 20 July 2009

Pain clinic, driving licence, hats

No, it's not a cryptic clue for some fiendish quiz - it summarises my life over the past few days.

Pain Clinic

We saw Becky Baines, a consultant at the hospice in Exeter this morning to review my pain medication regime. As you know I've been keen to make this appointment for a while, as I'm convinced there are better ways of dealing with the pain than amputation! It was a really useful session, but also quite challenging in some ways. Have you ever tried to describe a certain pain, in terms of location, nature, and what brings it on? Anyway, whatever I said seemed to make sense to Becky, because she looked at the current medication profile and suggested several changes that may help, and may also allow me to use my leg more than I have been at present - avoidance of use being perhaps the best strategy I've had available until now. I was amazed to hear that one of the drugs I started taking only recently (at her suggestion) has quite a lot of headroom in the dose. I'm on 300mg per day, and the most she has ever used is 2700 mg per day! She also looked at the morphine dose and recommended an increase, and also suggested switching to a larger dose tablet - 100mg instead of 20mg. You'd be surprised how tiresome it can be to take 11 tablets of a morning or evening, so cutting the number by 4 will be very welcome. Anyway, it will take a couple of days to phase in the changes, so I'll keep you posted.

Driving licence

Today we posted my driving licence back to the DVLA, as having a brain tumour means I'm no longer allowed to drive:-(. Furthermore, Christine checked the DVLA website, only to find that failure to notify them carries a £1,000 fine! That seems a bit harsh, on top of losing the licence! I've had a full licence since October 2nd 1966 - isn't it odd how useless bits of information like this stick in one's mind? Ah well, if the Queen can get used to being driven, I'm sure I can.

Hats
I'm now the proud owner of three new hats, or rather, two hats and one 'buff'. The hats are pretty ordinary skull caps, but the buff is amazingly complicated. At first sight it looks like an ordinary tube of cloth, but there are so many ways of wearing it that it has its own instructional video in the shop, and also a website! Please watch the video on this site - it really is quite mad! I'll consider posting some pics after I've had a practice with them all.

7 comments:

  1. wow!!! i want one that iside out knotted idea looks fun. as long as it dosnt make me chase monsters (there not real you know)
    Danielle
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. George, it's got to be The Buff. The 'must have' for the coming season. Dalwood's de regueur! Commission Stitch & Bitch to go into full production,and then they can be sold through the Shop!
    H x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the Buff is great. I bought one for Josh in Switzerland years ago, to keep off the sun and keep out the cold - amazing piece of kit. Thanks for directing me to the site because I have been wondering where to get another!

    Lokking forward to the pics :)
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the buff has it - I've already perfected the pirate look (move over Johnny Depp - anyone got an eye patch?)

    Jan, we got ours from a shop called Cotswold Outdoors in Exeter. Their website is www.cotswoldoutdoors.com, but it is the slowest I've ever come across.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The video is such fun, George, I want one too! What colour(s) is yours?
    All that info, AND you fixed both our computers today - you're a star!
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilary, it's blue. See http://www.buff.eu/en/catalog_headwear.php?t=1m (18047 Mongar Jeans). I would have modelled it but your praises made me blush and now it clashes:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi George
    Finally found your blog which everyone in the know reads with interest and love. Thinking of you both - I assume you are still in Bristol - hope your hat is waterproof, Dalwood Fair weather has set in.

    ReplyDelete