Thursday 30 July 2009

Day 8: It (my hair) is still hanging in there!

Medical update

Precisely nothing (thank goodness).

Anyone lost an Enya CD?

A while ago I repaired someone's laptop, and in the process took an Enya CD called "And Winter Came..." out of the CD drive. It has been hanging around here ever since while I try to recall whose PC it was. That isn't happening, so if anyone reading thinks it is theirs, please let me know.

Any now for something completely different

I've recently finished reading a book which was given to me by a friend, and it made a big impression; so much so that I've decided to share it here. The reason I have hesitated is because it is a work of Christian fiction, and until I received this book I didn't realise that such a genre existed. I'm also well aware that not everyone who reads this blog would describe themselves as Christian, and I've no desire to sermonise anyone.

The book is called 'The Shack', by William P Young. Be prepared for a plot which involves the murder of a young girl, the appearance of God as a large black woman, and an altogether unsettling read. I found myself upset, amused and challenged in equal amounts. Yes, it's very American; yes, the writing style can be a bit schmaltzy, yes, it isn't attempting to project true theology; For all that, it rattled some of my cosy preconceptions, and didn't take that much time to read. For details, and the views of other reviewers, have a look at the Amazon listing: http://tinyurl.com/nlvy63. If anyone would like to borrow my copy, just let me know.

George

3 comments:

  1. Now for some Devil's Advocate stuff.

    I hope cloud computing is more cloud cuckoo land than anything else. Who wants Google or Amazon to be able to read our mails, files and innermost thoughts and to completely control what we can and cannot do with our computers.

    That is my thrust, Sir. I await your parry.

    ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An honourable thrust indeed, sir, although perhaps more related to some earlier posts than this one! It may be that you are experiencing a distortion of the space/time continuum after watching the Physics videos?

    Anyway, who says Amazon and Google can't already do this?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Space time continuum is all relative anyway.

    With regard to your parry, Sir - a mere graze. With all one's documents and stuff on the cloud, the government will doubtless demand that the cloud providers keep it all for ten years so they can snoop on it.

    How say you to that, Sir?

    ReplyDelete