Tuesday 25 August 2009

Wikipedia - Who has heard of it - Hands up?!

I thought that for this posting I would pass on a tip about a web feature that I use so often that I never give it any thought, but which I realise may have escaped some folk who look at my blog. The feature I'm talking about is Wikipedia.

To read the formal definition of what a Wiki is please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page. In summary, it is a public encyclopaedia authored by, well, anyone! The idea is to capture the knowledge of individuals about subjects in which they have an interest. Yes, it allows people to post wrong or misleading information. Equally, these issues are simple to correct, and each subject tends to be 'guarded' by a small number of people who care about the integrity of the information in a particular domain.

There are also private wikis, and they are used by academia and major multi-nationals for collaborative research (as in pharmaceuticals) where scientists can be spread around the globe.

For our purposes, we are interested in public wikis. To try it out, all you have to do if using Firefox browser is to type 'wiki search item' into the address bar. If you are stuck on Internet Explorer, type the same term into the Google search box.

Still unsure about it? Try typing any of the following into your browser search box :
  • wiki Formula 1
  • wiki Dalwood
  • wiki 'whatever your hobby or secret passion is'
This method of research is particularly useful for answering technology questions, and may help to explain why I appear to know so much about PC's!

If you feel you know enough about your subject matter to be able to contribute, go ahead! All you need to do is to create an account and follow the instructions provided, and you can be broadcasting your wisdom to the planet within minutes:-)

Health update

I may be wrong, but when I woke up this morning I thought I felt marginally better, for the first time since I had the radiotherapy. I've still been very tired during the day, and decisions such as 'what would you like for lunch?' still seem hard to answer, but I'm hopeful that the down swing has been halted.

5 comments:

  1. I love Wikipedia! I've been using it all day today to write programme notes for a concert in our church. So I know all the juicy details about Tchaikovsky and Elgar (yes, there are some!) - and I've listened to/watched lots of exerpts on YouTube that Wikipedia lined up for me.

    It's great to get a technology bulletin from you, George - you sound much more like your old self!

    Love, Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. woops...obv meant to type painT the other day ...solly bout that.

    btw, methinks wikipedia is cool for the more obscure stuff like finding famous finnish people. (oh, s***, given the game away now).

    every best
    gm.m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi George
    We are back ive been catching up on your blog sounds like its been a bit up and down, it's good to read that you are feeling a bit more yourself today while we were away in cyprus (coverd in factor 50+) we walked up ,i think it was 137 steps to a church that had something called a wishing tree we made a wish for you and tied it to the tree so perhaps its working all ready we hope so!
    I use wikipedia at school its really usefull isnt it it's food time here so must dash
    Speak soon
    Danielle
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love wiki in this house! Glad you're emerging George. Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed that the "up" feeling goes on.
    I bet you know this anyway but - can you make a sentence from the word "buffalo" repeated (at least) four times - and can you make another sentence with the word "had" repeated eleven times (at least)?
    If you haven't ever heard of it let me know how long it takes you to do WITHOUT WIKI !!!!
    love Bren

    ReplyDelete