Sunday 23 August 2009

Sunday lunch

Had a surprise burst of activity today - lunch out with our two sons at the Lord Poullett Arms in Hinton St George. For a variety of reasons we haven't been together for a while, so this was a real treat.

As you will see from the link, it's a pub with attitude; check out the reviews page, if nothing else. Gastro -pub of the year 2008; National Dining Pub of the Year 2009 - Good Pub Guide 2009. Some folk - men - may vote in favour of the loos - but you'll have to go there to see what I mean!

One last piece of advice; don't go on the day they are holding a relic tractor ploughing competition next to the A303; if you do you can be sure that your fellow humanity will stop their cars on a major A route just to watch this absolutely exhilarating piece of entertainment that can surely only be beaten by the Cornish paint drying championships (white) category.

Health update

Health not improved by waiting in back of car for above delay to clear. Other than that, no change either way I'm afraid. I'm down by another twenty hairs, but still have more than some folk of a similar age in the village:-). The sleepiness is unabated, which I had hoped would be improving by now...

Cheeky quotes

By the way, not a soul commented when I replaced the fish with the Cheeky Quotes. I thought it would raise the tone and provide some amusement - you weren't all in a queue on the A303 watching a ploughing competition were you?

3 comments:

  1. goodness me, i remember that pub when it's only claim to fame was its "mississippi mud pie" dessert....obv things have changed for the better...must try to revisit.

    sorry no comment about the demise of the fishes but have def enjoyed the quotes. neat idea.thank you.

    shame about your hair too...but,as ive said, the johnny depp doubling job is already taken so no harm done really.

    and btw,its the the BLACK pain contest that's the real audience grabber...my finnish cousin (twice removed) came third in 2005. however, he used his 800 gallon prize rather unwisely and now you cant see his house for 7 months of the year.

    thoughts as ever
    gm.m

    ReplyDelete
  2. George,

    Black pain? Does it respond to morphine?

    I might have known that you would have Finnish relatives - the only race that Swedes regard as dour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do make me laugh George - thank you. I'm sorry I haven't commented on your cheeky quotes because I actually look forward to reading them. Keep them coming! Jan x

    ReplyDelete