Sunday 24 May 2009

Chemo update

First of all, apologies to those of you who have tried to post comments on my first entry. The easiest way for you to do that is to click on the relevant Post heading to bring up the comment box below my entry; then to select 'Anonymous' from the Send Comment as drop-down box at the bottom of the page. Of course, if you do this then please include your name in the comment, unless you really prefer me and others not to know who is being scurrilous:-).

It's now day four after the first chemo treatment so I'll summarise what has been involved for those who are interested; day 1 consists of an eight hour session of drips consisting of two drugs; day two is only two hours but the drug is more aggressive; and on day three I have a very quick injection to help boost my white blood cell count. I admit to feeling tired and somewhat nauseous, despite the eleven other drugs that I am now on, although the feelings are bearable if I don't try to do too much. In fact, I made it to church this morning at 0900, which was quite challenging!

I have been told that I can expect the side-effects to last for a week or two, but in the second week my immune system is very low so I have to avoid people with infections, plus any gatherings where I may catch something. For those of you that know me well you will hardly notice any change in my sociability :-).

Keeping myself amused isn't too hard at the moment. PC's still seem to need fixing regularly; it's the time of year when people who bought Kaspersky last year are coming up for licence renewals; and I'm testing the replacement to Windows Vista (called Windows 7). Thus far, W7 feels like a significant improvement over its predecessor, in terms of speed, usablilty, and reliability. However it probably won't be available on new PC's until the Autumn or even Christmas. If you are thinking of buying or replacing a PC in the near future I advise you to hang on until then if you can.

For those of you who are still reading (Michael?!) I'm also trying out a complete replacement for Windows called Ubuntu. It's quick, free, and increasingly usable by everyday users. But perhaps I should save these comments for a separate posting category called 'Technical' or perhaps even 'Geek'?

4 comments:

  1. wow...do you really think an african tribe will replace windows?..and has anyone told bill about this?....better not tho or he'll just buy africa.

    every best
    gm.m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decided on longer bike ride from Hawley Bottom as weather so good yesterday. Past Honeysuckle Cottage (note not F C Cottage), down past Major's and Drew's and on to ford. One day old brown calves in Derek's field. Stopped off at the chaple on way up to A35 for a breather. My! - it's steep that bit. Boxed pews are a puzzle. Straight across A35 at top and into wood. New ground for me - hard to find the little used path,and steep and muddy. Down old Roman road towards Kilmington passing huge "gypsy" base there and on to Texaco garage for a Magnum reward. Ate it outside Coryton Park gate (Who knows what's up there?).

    Then back tyre blew and had to walk all the way back !*&$!

    Him at OFH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Him at OFH,

    I saw you go past, and began to wonder where you'd got to as your bike rides are usually that long:)

    Best take a puncture repair kit if you intend to keep doing these foolish things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you entertain the idea of windows - you were always a Mac man!! (which incidentaly is why I still am!) We don't allow people past the front door here if they're even using Windows mobiles! I'll keep the geekery to a min, but Ubuntu is really good - some great graphical features.

    ReplyDelete